There are many ways you can get involved! You can join Friends of Gecko if you’re interested in volunteering, get Gecko support for your community, offer your skills, work with us or get involved in any way.
Why get involved?
Make a difference: join us to learn new skills, meet new people and work together to make your neighbourhood a wonderful place to be – now and in the future.
What Can I Do?
You can help and learn as much or as little as you like. We’re always happy to have your involvement and to connect you with others in your neighbourhood!
Practical skills and things you could learn about:
Plants – weed control, clearing rubbish, mulching, planting native species, how to grow natives from seed
Waterways – how to monitor stream health, recognise our native fish species and plant for clean waterways.
Pests & predators – why they are bad, what damage they do, how to recognise them, how to trap them and get rid of them
Flora & Fauna – get to know our native birds (what they look like and what their sounds mean), identify different plant species and other wildlife such as geckos, insects and butterflies
Your environment – learn about what is special about where you live and how you can care for it
How Else Can I Help?
Some of the things you know you may not think are useful, but they could be wonderful for us. For e.g. are you a great photographer? Do you have design skills? Could you assist with us workshops or at special events? Have a think and let us know – any and all of your help is valuable.
You can make changes on your own, together with other community groups, or start your own group!
Become a Friend of Gecko:
All community groups and individuals taking positive environmental action are friends of Gecko. However, if there’s no activity in your neighbourhood and you still want to support us, then become a Friend of Gecko by supporting the great work happening across the Auckland region. Touch base with us to get the ball rolling.
Start Something New
If you have an idea for your local community and are wanting to start something new you can follow these simple steps:
- Chat to other community members to see if there is an appetite to roll up your sleeves together and take action
- Talk to a Gecko facilitator about the best way forward with your idea
- Develop an action plan [link to LN Toolkit] to help guide you and your community members
- Take action in your local community by working together with Gecko
- Share your results to encourage others to join in and take action, too
Show Some Love
Not everyone wants to get their back into it, but still love what Gecko is working towards. If this is you, then there is a range of ways you can show your support.
- You can make a one-off donation to keep the engine humming and help us provide greater support in neighbourhoods like yours
- You can make ongoing donations – as little or as much as you like on a monthly basis
- You can become a corporate sponsor and help maximise the impact of local communities volunteer efforts
For all financial contributions please contact our General Manager:
General Manager | Gecko NZ Trust
022 077 2935